Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sandra via OfficeKB.com

Default Mailmerge - Word 2000

Thank you for your response.

Database
I understand to insert 20 columns and name them P1 ........P20.
I understand to insert in each member's record a 'Y' or 'N' (as appropriate)
across the whole 20 columns.

To clarify: do I insert the IF fields 20 times (including the appropriate
paragraph wording) into the Main document? Also, where it says "para 1 text
here" "" do I insert my text "If you have contributed to ............" ""
retaining as many quotation marks?

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD para1 \*Upper }" = "Y" "para 1 text here" ""
}{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD para2 \*Upper }" = "Y" "para 2 text here" ""
}{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD para3 \*Upper }" = "Y" "para 3 text here" ""
}

Sorry for being so pedantic but I've never used { IF } fields before and have
only ever done very basic mailmerges.

Regards
Sandra

Peter Jamieson wrote:
I can't think of any way to link the individual paragraphs to each
member's
record in the database to enable me to merge. Is this possible?

There are various ways you could approach this, depending on the precise
requirements.

Broadly speaking, if I were doing it, I would probably try to put most of my
effort into getting the data correct:
a. add twenty fields/columns to my database, one for each different
paragraph
b. ensure that each record in my database specified the correct paragraphs
c. use { IF } fields in my Word MailMerge Main document to include or
exclude each paragraph, e.g. if the fields are named para1,para2,...,para20
and each field contains "Y" to include the paragraph, "" or "N" otherwise:

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD para1 \*Upper }" = "Y" "para 1 text here" ""
}{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD para2 \*Upper }" = "Y" "para 2 text here" ""
}{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD para3 \*Upper }" = "Y" "para 3 text here" ""
}

and so on, where all the {} are the special field code braces you can insert
using ctrl-F9.

If, on the other hand, you really have to do this stuff on an ad-hoc basis,
you could use ASK fields to prompt the user for information about which
paragraphs to include, and test the results. However, in my view that's
asking for trouble.

Peter Jamieson

I currently have a database holding details of 400+ members.

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]

Sandra