Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Default More stupid INCLUDEPICTURE questions

Hi Peter,

Surprising indeed! And the code works equally well with '/../' instead of '\\..\\'.

I've done a bit of experimenting with the technique you described and find that it works with INCLUDETEXT, RD & HYPERLINK fields,
but not with LINK fields..

The same approach can be extended to implement true relative addressing. For example:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "{FILENAME \p}\\..\\My Pictures\\AdobeRGB.png"}
looks in the current file's child folder named 'My Pictures' and:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "{FILENAME \p}\\..\\AdobeRGB.png"}
looks in the current file's parent folder, while:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "{FILENAME \p}\\..\\..\\My Pictures\\AdobeRGB.png"}
looks in the current file's parent folder, then the parent's child folder named 'My Pictures' (I guess you could call that a sibling
folder).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message ...
| Hi macropod,
|
| I've constucted paths using { filename \p } before, e.g. where you have
|
| folderx
| docy.doc
| docy.doc.folder
| docz.doc
|
| and use
|
| "{ filename \p }.folder\\docz.doc" to reference the .doc
|
| but I don't think I've ever actually tried the \\..\\ thing before and am
| quite surprised that it creates a legit. pathname.
|
| Because there's mixture of single backslashes and doubled backslashes in the
| constructed path name so it's a bit surprising that it works at all,
| anywhere, but then that's often the way with fields :-)
|
| Peter Jamieson
|
| "macropod" wrote in message
| Hi Peter,
|
| That works too. Neat trick!
|
| Cheers
|
| --
| macropod
| [MVP - Microsoft Word]
|

| "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| | Worth trying the following, just in case...
| |
| | { INCLUDEPICTURE "{ filename \p }\\..\\{ MERGEFIELD picname }.jpg }
| |
| | But
| | a. although it appears to work here these sorts of construct make me
| | nervous
| | b. you may have to uncheck Word Tools|Options|General|"Web
| | options"|Files|"Update links on save"
| |
| | Peter Jamieson
| | "LAR" wrote in message
| | I am now trying to use the INCLUDEPICTURE field to insert pictures into
| my
| | mail merge document. I would like to be able to merge pictures into
| the
| | document that are in the same folder as the main document. Here is
| what I
| | have tried and seen.
| |
| | I have successfully merged the pictures by using the entire path to
| the
| | picture using something like {INCLUDE PICTURE "C:/temp/{MERGEFIELD
| | picname}.jpg" \* MERGEFORMAT}. However, I want to be able to use the
| | "current folder" to merge the pictures from.
| |
| | I have tried {INCLUDE PICTURE "{MERGEFIELD picname}.jpg" \*
| MERGEFORMAT}
| | only to find that WORD uses the DOCUMENTS path (Tools:ptions::file
| | locations::documents) as the path for the merged files. I know this
| | because
| | I have moved some of the pictures into the DOCUMENTS path folder and
| only
| | the
| | pictures that I move there appear in the merged document.
| |
| | I tried to use a relative path with things like {INCLUDE PICTURE
| | "../{MERGEFIELD picname}.jpg" \* MERGEFORMAT} with no luck.
| |
| | I've looked at all the VBA examples for AutoOpen but could find
| nothing
| | the
| | TEMPORAIRLY changed the DOCUMENTS path to that of the source (main)
| | document.
| |
| | So now, here I am again, asking how to accomplish what seems like a
| simple
| | task (merge the pictures in the current folder into my document) that
| | can't
| | seem to figure out for myself.
| |
| | Thanks in advance for any thoughts for ideas.
| |
| | LAR
| |
| |