Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Wildcard Search and Replace

Ah, I see - I hadn't seen your separate reply to the OP.

Oddly, F/R works correctly when the Find text is itself marked as an addition. Deleted text is left alone if it's hidden, but gets
processed (with the same peculiar results you get for previously-unchanged text) if it's visible.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message ...
It is not corruption. It is a bug in versions of Word prior to 2007. The order of replacement literals and found groups is not
honoured when Track Changes is in effect.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Perhaps so. It could be that the inherited document is corrupt, or maybe there's an ADVANCE field or something such taking effect
when a space is inserted between the strings..

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message ...
.. which will still suffer at the hands of the same bug.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Or, for hard spaces in the replacement:
\1^s\2^s\3

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote in message ...
Hi Johann,

You could perhaps try:
([A-Z]{3})(/)([A-Z]{3}) as the Find, with
\1 \2 \3 as the Replace.
Note: the and prevent the Find from processing strings of 4 or more letters.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
I have "inherited" a set of documents that exhibit a rather strange behaviour.
In these documents three-letter codes are listed in the form ABC/DEF. I want to change these to ABC / DEF (i.e.
[code][hardspace][forward slash][hardspace][code]). In the Word Search and Replace I select Use Wildcards. I then enter in
the Find What line: ([A-Z]{3})/([A-Z]{3}) and in the Replace With line \1^s/^s\2.
The result is this (surprisingly!): ABCDEF /.
When I create a new test document to replicate this situation, the result is as expected, i.e. ABC / DEF.
Has anyone ever experienced a situation similar to this? The problem obviously lies with the document itself and not the PC
or Word. Has anyone any idea what is going on here and how one can remedy this peculiarity?