Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
c j c j is offline

Default Ctrl + space, AND list/multilist formating

Dean, thanks for the tips. I'm actually building a template so I was fairly certain that there was no manual formatting.

Question: did I understand correctly that ctrl + space will reset whatever is highlighted back to a style (or rather, remove the manual)? Does the whole text need to be highlighted or just have the cursor in it?

Also, I did find that there was a list assigned to one of the heading levels that I must have inadvertently done because I don't remember doing that at all. How do you get rid of "lists in current document?" I haven't defined a list style yet for the template but in messing with the look of things I looked at many different lists for headings and now I have about 10 I can't get rid of. AND I noticed that the list was not removed with "ctrl + space."

In other words once I found that some of the headings had a list assigned to it, I looked in my styles first to verify they weren't assigned to the style. Then I removed them manually on each of that level's headings.

The font thing in my TOCs was weird; it seemed to have resolved itself...literally. I don't understand what was going on, because all of the styles still read exactly as they did when I asked the question, but one of the times I updated the TOC it changed, I suppose on it's own.

Thanks again for your help

DeanH wrote:

It sounds like you are doing everything right to modify the TOC styles, Itend
25-Feb-10

It sounds like you are doing everything right to modify the TOC styles, I
tend to modify them from the Styles and Formatting pane instead of the TOC
dialog - you do not get the "do you want to replace the TOC" question ;-)

What I think is happening is that the Headings, that the TOC is collecting,
have manual formatting applied to them, the TOC will show this manual
formatting instead of the TOC styles.

I would check the Headings themselves, and correct the appropriate Heading
styles to show what format you want at the sections, you can use
Ctrl+Spacebar to remove any manual formatting quickly. Ensure you select the
paragraph mark as well as the text, as this marker holds its own formatting
as well, to show these use Ctrl+Shft+8 or the ?? icon (on the Home ribbon or
the Standard toolbar) to toggle.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"c j" wrote:

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .Net Tips and Tricks No. 26
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-cool-net.aspx