Graham Mayor

I think many people preferred mail merge with Word 2000, but for those used
to the old ways, Word 2002/3 came as an unpleasant shock until they realise
that the older way of doing things remains largely intact - but hidden from
the user by default. I am pleased you found my web page useful.

S.Nicks wrote:
Mr. Mayor,
I went to your webiste and followed your directions and it worked.
The last time I performed a mail merge was about 1 year ago and it
was very simple. This new process is unbelieveable. I am by no means
a computer guru and figured out the mail merge last year without any
help, but would have had no idea of what the additional steps were
without your website. Even the Microsoft Online help features did
not explain anything about "Insert Merge Field" or "Propogating".
That was absolutely ridiculous.
Thanks for your website, it was a life saver. I was almost to the
point of typing out each individual address again to make things work.
S.Nicks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What happens if you abandon the inflexible addressblock field and
insert the required fields individually and propagate those?
See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
If the same problem occurs with separate fields, then repairing Word
might be a useful next step (Help detect & repair).
Next step after that would be to reset the data key in the registry
See http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm

cgorak wrote:
It looks to me that the AddressBlock is not being replicated across
the labels - only across the top (no matter which labels are
chosen),
the last two at the bottom and randomly in the middle. I can copy
the AddressBlock to each of the blank labels and they look fine but
that is an unnecessary extra step that mail merge is suppose to
elimate. It has nothing to do with the info being imported either
as
I have tried several different databases from Excel and all have the
same problem.
At work we have installed the same version of Office2003 to all our
machines. Could it be something that is different between the way a
laptop installs as opposed to the way the desktop installs? I don't
know if this is consistant but it works on the desktops in my
department but not on the laptops. We have the Gateway Tablet M275.
Could it possibly be a Tablet issue? I don't know if the other
people who have reported this to me have Tablets or not... just a
thought.
Thanks-Char Gorak

Peter Jamieson" wrote:

So far, I have not been able to replicate this on my copy of Word
1.6359.6360 SP1, so have not bin able to pin down a likely problem
area. Because it worked before, I would be inclined to report this
directly to Microsoft (we are only volunteers). My guess is that it
/might/ have something to do with the data, which would at least
provide an explanation as to why some people are seeing this
problem
and others are not, and why switching to DDE might improve things
in some cases. All I can do is ask a few questions and see if they
lead anywhere useful, e.g.: a. is the problem that the field
/codes/ (Next Record and Addressblock) are not replicated when you
press
Update all labels? Or do you see the field codes but not the data
when you press preview? b. Does it make any difference if you
choose a different type of label layout?
c. Are there any "unusual" characters, e.g. double quote
characters, in your data source, or unusually large fields, around
the point where things go wrong?
d. Does it make any difference which version of /Excel/ was (last)
used to create/maintain the data? (My guess is that the problem is
in Word, and not in either Excel or the OLEDB provider used to get
the data from the .xsl, but it might be worth checking that.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

Peter Jamieson

"cgorak" wrote in message
news I am doing a mail merge with Word2003 - the database info is in an
Excel 2003
spreadsheet. The mail merge works just like it always has - UNTIL
get to the last step - Update All Labels. At that point only the
first three labels
and the LAST two labels on the first page and miscellaneous labels
on the next page are populated with information. I do not have
this problem on my desktop but I do on my laptop and others here
at the University have been experiencing the same problem.
11.6359.6360
SP1 is the version of my Word2003
and 11.6355.6360 SP1 is the version of Excel2003. I have received
emails from others on the outside that are having this exact same
problem. This solution was sent to me also but does not work:
"go to options in Word and on the general tab you select the box
confirm conversion when opening document when you select this box
you will have to select your data file in excel again and you
select the DDE option" --
Char Gorak