Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default page numbering in Word 2007 won't work on merged file

You have mentioned three different types of merge, of which only one type
will continue page numbering throught the completed merge - and that is
Directory. A Directory merge will repeat everything in the merge document
for each record, with each record immediately following the one before
without added space. If you want this to take the form of a table insert
only sufficient table to contain your fields with no header row. Whatever is
added to the header/footer view, including page number fields will be
completed across the document and the page numbers incremented normally. If
you want additional information add it to the merged document.

See http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm and How to use
mail merge to create a list sorted by category -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686

Fellow MVP 'macropod' has posted a tutorial on this, with working field
codes and a sample Excel data source which you can download from my website
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip

If you create a label merge then each page of the merged document will be a
new section. Page numbers in the footer will all show as 1

If you create a letter merge then each record will start a new section. Page
numbers will restart at 1 for each record..

joel10000 wrote:
I am using a merged Word file to create a directory, but I can't get
Word 2007 to number the pages. Each page has 9 records merged from an
Excel file data. It numbers the first page, but then nothing appears
on subsequent pages. I am using both label and table templates to
format the page that the data will be merged to. I tried entering the
page numbering both before and after the merge, but neither will work.