Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Which way do you suggest?

One way to deal with this might be modifying Heading 1 to include frame
formatting, positioning it in the page margin.

If you use a QUOTE field in the heading (which reads "hidden heading 1" or
something like that), enable field shading, you can then format the heading
text as white, and it won't print but you can still see it in the page margin.

In order to easily apply this to text, create an AutoText entry and use that
when needed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Sarah_Lecturer wrote:
Apologies for the bump.... on other boards I have used in the past this has
been common practice and I was rather hoping someone maybe able to help.
Sorry if it caused offence. Not intentional. I take your point how you
pick up posts and apologise once again.

no problem, just wanted to point out it might be less than effective. :-)

The reason for wanting a H2 out of order is because the section of the
document that needs a H2 does not need a H1. Currently the H1 is there but
hidden and in effect this means that others who do not realise this hidden
text is present; insert numbering without realising the issues this could
raise with numbering further down the document.

OK, hmm ... in my "realm", there never should be a H2 w/o it's
(visible!) H1. But you're probably working with some anglo-saxon legal
template -- and these have to conform with obscure numbering schemes, or
so it seems. :-]

I'm not sure if you can prevent the "empty" thing. Somebody more adept
with LISTNUM field constructs _might_ turn up a solution (though I fear
it would be to hide a LISTNUM field for the H1, which amounts to the
same thing.

HTH
Robert
--