Tom Ferguson

The best procedure is to place the font files in a folder on the HD that
is not part of the \windows hierarchy, say, c:\myfonts. Next, navigate to
Control Panel Fonts File Add new font. Navigate to the fonts files
you want to use and select.

However, that is not necessary. It is sufficient to simply copy the files
to the default font directory. That directory is usually c:\Windows\fonts.
It is best _not_ to "move" the fonts. Complications can arise.

Now, as to why the fonts are not showing up in the Word font list:

Once you have finished adding the fonts, they should show up. Check in
three places and let us know: the Control Panel fonts list, the Word font
list, the Word Pad font list.

It is possible that the troublesome fonts do not adhere to the applicable
font specification. Windows, which is responsible for adding and
rasterising fonts, checks certain font characteristics and will not use
those which are mal-formed. The vast majority of fonts from good sources
such as Adobe, Agfa Monotype, FontFont, and Microsoft are OK. However,
there are some, particularly shareware, which do not.

If you are using Windows 9x, possibly too many fonts are installed. There
is a limit of 1000 at most. There can be problems with fewer if the font
names are long.

Let us know.
Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Leah G" Leah wrote in message
:I was instructed to save new fonts in my font folder in the control
panel,
: but i had 2 problems:
: 1. the folder didn't allow me to save most fonts
: 2. those that i did save weren't accessible when i opened up word
:
: Any suggestions?
:
: Thank you.