Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Very strange Excel to Word date conversion

Using ODBC or OLE DB, there is a problem if the data types in a column are
mixed (this is described in that t0003.htm page I mentioned).

If you have control over the content of the Excel sheet, can I suggest that
you try the Data|Text to columns approach for the offending date columns (or
all of them), or at the very least, /type/the very first date in each date
column using some non-numeric text (e.g. 14 Feb 2008). I am not sure that
will actually help in this case but right now I'm a bit strapped for time,
and it might just be enough to sort this out. Otherwise, let me know as I
have made a bit of progress on that t0003.htm article since I last updated
it.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Suzanne" wrote in message
(BIG SIGH...)

The alternate switch didn't work (that was the first thing I tried).

Peter... I am still working on that monster Excel == Word merge document
that you were apparently the only one on the planet who knew it could be
worked out (again THANK YOU!!!)

The DDE:
1) It will only get data from the first worksheet (okay... I setup a
'dummy' worksheet in this workbook that now has 16 worksheets, which are
ordered specific to the level/type of data required for our reports)

2) Word stops looking for data when it encounters an empty space; I have
column about 2/3 of the way in for comments/notes that will probably
rarely
get used, but must be there.

So, I'm still stuck.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

See http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm and if possible, try the DDE option
described there.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadsheet with three columns of dates. All three
columns
are formatted in Excel exactly the same way (10-Feb-2008)

The first and third column are showing up in the Word merge document
AND
in
the Mail Merge Recipients window as a serial date.

The second column is showing up in the Recipients window as a date, but
not
in the right format (2/10/2008).

I set a switch code in the date fields to force the date format I need,
but
(obviously) am having no luck. Help????

This one is showing up as "39488"
{MERGEFIELD "PROCESS_START_DATE" \@ "dd MMM yyyy" }