Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RjS, CISSP, CISA RjS, CISSP, CISA is offline

Default Insert/Object: Link to File - ToC doesnt work for me

Since posting the below problem I have also noticed that "Insert/Pbject: Link
to File" only brings in the first page of the sub-document. Also, although
numerous other posts seem to imply that Insert/Object should resolve to an
INCLUDEFILE field under the covers, my altF9 shows that using Insert/Object
is inserting a LINK field.

"RjS, CISSP, CISA" wrote:

This feature seems like a perfect solution for what I need to do (work on
sub-documents independent of the master document), and I am sure that if I do
it right it will maintain my ToC, Page and paragraph numbering, and indexes
correctly. Problem is:
o- my ToC only contains entries from the master document. The subordinate
documents Header-1, 2, & 3, do not show up.
o- the page numbers from my subordinate documents are numbered 1-x, 2-x,
etc, where the prefix number is the document or chapter number, but they are
not being honored in the master document.

Can someone please point me to a paper or something that sheds light on how
to correctly deploy "Link to File"; using ToC and Page Numbering to their
best advantage?

BTW: I have spent well over an hour searching the help files but no matter
what search topic I choose they only link topics like Mail Merge. It seems
that Link to File is something that was overlooked for the Help topics. Just
a suggestion.

Thanks much