Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How to print double sided postcard using mail merge

That's the problem with not having the duplex printer to test on .

I began writing a macro that would add in the extra empty fields based on
the number of records in the data source and then sort out the data into the
required order, but my eyes quickly glazed over and there is the problem of
whether the printer duplexes horizontally or vertically. I was thinking
that your method might be simpler after all

I may return to this when I feel more inclined.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Hi Graham,

This is probably simpler than my method, but depending on the
duplexing capability of the printer (Flip on short side or flip on
long side), it may be necessary to re-arrange the order of the second
set of records
For flip on long side which is the default I believe, the records
would need to be in the following order

Record1
Record2
Record3
Record4
Record2
Record1
Record4
Record3

If the flip is on the short side, the records would need to be

Record1
Record2
Record3
Record4
Record3
Record4
Record1
Record2

and also the text will be upside down relative to that on the other
side of the card.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
It is simpler to create separate merges for front and back.

The merge will not step back in the data to print the back of the
card (the second page) with the data from the first card.

If you want to merge into both the front and the back of the card, I
would guess that one practical way would be to create a new data
file with each block of four records duplicated (include blank
records if your data file is not a multiple of 8 or the last sheet
of the merge will be wrong), eg Record1
Record2
Record3
Record4
Record1
Record2
Record3
Record4
Record5
Record6
Record7
Record8
Record5
Record6
Record7
Record8
Record 9
blank
blank
blank
Record 9

You could then create a new label document comprising two pages -
set the document type to 'letter'
and on the first page enter one side of the cards and on the second
page enter the other side information. Add a next record field at
the start of each cell except the first one on the first page.
Propagation will not work so you will have to use copy and paste to
create the other three 'labels' on each page.

I don't have a printer which duplexes, but the method works in
practice when merged to a new document.

taxmom wrote:
I need to print a postcards using 4 cards per 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I
want to put merge specific data on the front of the card and the
clients name and mailing address on the back of the card. Can
anyone walk me through the steps to do this. I am not having any
problems with the mail merge function, I just can't figure out how
to do the double sided merge. I do have duplex printing
capabilities