Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dorothy M F Dorothy M F is offline

Default How do I unlock a legacy form in Word 2007?

Thanks for the reponse but something is still wrong.
When I click on the Protect Document button, the task pane shows a
check mark by "Unrestricted Access", but I cannot edit the document. The top
item on the task pane ("Restrict formatiting and editng") is not checked. I
don't see a "Stop Protection" option on the pane. I did not use a password
in locking the orignal file in Word 2003.
If I unlock the document in Word 2003 and then open it in Word 2007, I
can edit it. The task pane for the Protect Document button is identical to
that which appears when I open the locked form, i.e., the "Unrestricted
Access" item is checked.
A related query: If I try to restrict the unlocked document,
depending on exactly how I try to do that, I either get a request for a
password or a direction to load Windows Rights Management which seems to
require me to use an on-line servier. Is there no equivalent to the simple
"lock" of Windows 2003 (i.e., anyone who knows about the Forms toolbar could
unlock the file)?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On the same ribbon with the legacy tools, there's a Protect Document button.
That opens a task pane where you should be able to click a Stop Protection
button -- unless the protection was applied with a password.

If there is a password, try inserting the text of the form document into a
new blank document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Dorothy M F wrote:
I have a substantial number of forms that I prepared in Word 2003 and
they are saved in locked format. I see legacy tools in Word 2007 for
Word 2003 forms, but I do not see the lock/unlock control. Is there
a way to open a locked Word 2003 form in Word 2007 and then unlock it
so it can be edited? Or do I have to unlock any form in Word 2003
before I try to edit it in Word 2007?