Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Computer forms for data entry to be used for mail merging labels,

I don't know which Missing Manual this is - is it one for Word?

However, you are correct that none of the Word forms technologies can be
used out-of-the-box, without programming, to create multi-record databases,
unless you count the facility within Word MailMerge itself (i.e. where you
create a new address list and you are presented with a form in the shape of
a dialog box whose layout and functionality you cannot change at all). There
is not a lot wrong with that facility, except for the fact that the data is
stored in a format that you cannot really safely edit or manipulate in any
way except via Word.

For the volume of data you are talking about, I would be inclined to stick
to entering the data directly into either Excel, or (say) a Word document
containing a table with one column for each data item, and a row at the top
with the names of each column, and concentrate on working out what data you
need to store to create the outputs you need.

Peter Jamieson

"Jackieblue" wrote in message
Having read the Missing Manual, I can see that I could create forms
(referred
to as computer forms) so that data can later be reused for labels, or
other
merges.

I can understand how to create the forms. What I can't see as it isn't
referred to is how these individually completed forms, would ever come
together to create a single "database".

Any suggestions much appreciated.

All I am really trying to do is gather 30/40 items of data for 30/40
people
and then pull off in a mail merge, either address labels or a listing of
their contact numbers, etc.

I could create in Excel, but seem to understand this is equally doable in
Word ??

As I say, many thanks.