Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BSAT Student BSAT Student is offline

Default Standard Deviation Symbol

Thanks Jay! That's exactly what I needed.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The usual symbol for standard deviation is a lower case Greek sigma
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation). You can get this
either by typing a lower case 's' and formatting it with the Symbol
font.

You could use the Insert Symbol dialog and choose the Basic Greek
subset (you may have to set the dropdown in the lower right corner to
Hexadecimal in order to show the subset dropdown in the upper right).
The character number there is 03C3.

Alternatively, you can type the number 03C3 in the body of a document
and press Alt+X.

Finally, if you're going to use it a lot, you can select the character
in the Insert Symbol dialog, click the Shortcut Key button, and
assign your own shortcut; or you can click the AutoCorrect button and
assign a "name" such as sd that will automatically be replaced by the
symbol.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:47:10 -0800, BSAT Student
wrote:

Does anyone know if the symbol for standard deviation is available in Word
2003? I can't seem to find it under "Insert Symbol." Is it listed only under
a certain font?