Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default what is a Word 2003 - Table & Contents "Subentry"?

Where you put the XE field should be as close as possible to the topic
you're referencing. For example, if you refer to George Washington on page
3, you could put { XE: "Washington: George" } anywhere on page 3, but if the
XE field was in text that moved to page 4, then the page reference for your
mention of George Washington would be incorrect. You therefore want to put
the XE field right next to George Washington's name.

I still get a strong feeling that you don't understand how indexes work or
what they're supposed to do. I suggest that, while it is admirable to try to
learn Word's features before you actually need them, your practice will be
much more practical if you are working on a document in which you really
need an index.

"Bennie" wrote in message
Hey Taz,
I just noticed that that Lorrie person was talking about TOC's, and not
My bad,
Bennie
P.S. I'm still looking for an actual written instruction that shows

exactly
where in a document that you're supposed to put an XE subentry field code.

know now thru experimenting on my own, but there has to be an actual

document
describing the process somewhere. I'm noticing that a lot of this computer
information written about in various articles is simply assumed by the
author, or passed along by word of mouth--and thus certain steps get

glossed
over by all of them in their writings--because none of them really know of
the step's origins, and they don't want to be seen as not knowing. Who

does!

"CyberTaz" wrote:

I'm not sure where this conversation originated, but just for

clarification:

"Main Entry" & "Subentry" are aspects of an *Index*, and have nothing to

do
with a Table of Contents. A TOC can have multiple *levels* (based on

Heading
Styles for example), but that is a totally different matter with

different
terminology.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/2/07 1:52 PM, in article
, "Bennie"
wrote:

Hey Lorrie,
This is Bennie over at "Subentry-Word 2003." I noticed that you asked

the
same question that I did about "Subentries." Getting a straight answer

such a simple question is like pulling teeth!
If you check over here, you might find the information that you sought

way
back when.
Bennie

"lorrie" wrote:

hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where

it says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the

place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just

wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help