Peter Jamieson

Typically, Word 2003 will open a Dbase III, IV or 5 table as a data source.
It uses the Access (Jet) OLEDB provider to do it, but what I cannot tell you
off the top of my head is whether the necessary software to do that is
installed if you just install Word. If you install any version of Office
2003 that includes Access, you should be OK. The necessary components should
also be available from the MS website (the MDAC used to contain everything
you needed, but the Jet components were separated out several years ago).

Usually, the thing to do is try it and see.

If you are using Word 2002, I think the story is the same. With Word 2000 or
earlier, you may have to go via ODBC and that may require you to set up a
dBase ODBC DSN.

Peter Jamieson (sorry, won't be around for follow-up on this next week).
"hilllo" wrote in message
We do large mailings and it is a lot faster to merge a .dbf file into a
word
template than to do Excel. It would also save time if we ONLY had to
export
the .dbf file and not have to export into excel as well. What setting do
need to change to allow a .dbf to merge into a word template?

Lori