Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
#DIV/0 #DIV/0 is offline

Default REALLY automatic updating linked object

Sorry. Using different keywords I now found some posts about this.
It looks as if it's something to do with fields and the security level and
may involve registry editing.
I have WinXP and Office2003 and some of these links refer to older versions
but I'll try 'em out . . . carefully.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

David M

"#DIV/0" wrote:

I have some Word templates whose headers and footers are separate linked Word
docs (I heard they're going to change the company logo some time before July
- this way I'm ready. Faxes, offers, invoices and other forms and documents
all use the same header/footer).

Whenever a new doc is created or an old one re-opened, Word asks if the
links should be updated to the contents of the external files.
In Edit|Link I have automatic selected rather than manual but if the user
gets a message requesting a click every time they open every single company
document that ain't very automatic.

How can I get rid of this annoyance and make the updating truly automatic
and (more importantly) transparent to the user ?

--
David M