Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Problem with tables in columns

Word seemingly inserts the extra paragraph mark because it wants to prevent
you from accidentally concatenating two consecutive tables -- even though
you don't have two consecutive tables.

Since you're using a one cell table, however, you can accomplish the same
formatting aim by substituting an "In line with text" text box, instead of a
single cell table. Word doesn't exhibit the same compunction with respect to
text boxes as it does for tables, so you should be able to accomplish the
desired formatting aim.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Derby" wrote in message
Hi everyone and thanks for any help you can offer.
I am using XP Pro with Word 2003.

I have an 8.5 x 11 document that is split into two vertical columns. At
the
top of the left column on the first page I have inserted a single cell
table
and inside the table is my heading for the information to follow. Under
the
table I list my data. When I have listed all of one type of data
(regardless
of how many full or partial colums it fills) I insert a column break to
start
the next type of data in a new column.

Now the problem. After inserting the column break I have a space at the
top
of the next column. When I insert my next single cell table (for the next
heading), it is not at the top of the column because of the space.

I can not figure out how to get subsequent tables to align to the top of
the
column. The table I start the first column with is always at the top, but
after each column break I end up with a space that I can't get rid of. Any
suggestions?

Thanks - you guys are always a great help.

Jim