Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default How do I put header and not page number on first page?

Gee, it was that easy... ! :-)
Thanks!
Jonathan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The easiest way to do this is to enable "Different first page," then leave
the First Page Footer empty. No code necessary unless you're wanting
numbering to start on the second page and the number of pages to omit the
first page. In that case, you can insert a section break between the first
and second pages, unlink the footer, restart numbering (or start at 0), and
use the SectionPages field instead of NumPages.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Hi Doug - Hope you're still around - these first postings went up 3 years
ago!

My question is a further extention of your feedback:
I want the text 'Page x of total pages' to appear as a right-justified
footer beginning on the second page.
I've been playing around with a few coding options...without success.
could
you please help me out of my dilemma?
Thanks!
Jonathan

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

By field construction, I mean the following combination of fields

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

To give you a step by step approach, Type

IF PAGE 1 PAGE

Then in turn, select each of the words PAGE and with it selected, hold
down
the Ctrl key and press F9

You will then have

IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE }

Now select all of the above and with it all selected, hold down the Ctrl
key
and press F9, you will then have

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

Hold down the Alt key and then press F9 to hide the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Glenda (The Good Confused Witch)" Glenda (The Good Confused
wrote in message
I have the same problem regarding the above. I have no idea what you
mean
by
"field construction in the Header", and "field delimiters"??? But I
know
how to toggle

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the following field construction in the Header

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters { } and Alt+F9 to
toggle
off their display.

If you wanted the number to start from 1 on the second page, use

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE } - 1 } }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"K McDonald" K wrote in message
I need to set up a document (no section breaks) with the header the
same
on
every page and start numbering on the second page. When I uncheck
"number
first page" in the footer, it also deletes the header from the first
page.
I've tried inserting the footer/page number and then the header, but
nothing
works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Kathleen