Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ben Ben is offline

Default How do I put header and not page number on first page?

I have tried this and it does not work. What am I doing wrong?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

By field construction, I mean the following combination of fields

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

To give you a step by step approach, Type

IF PAGE 1 PAGE

Then in turn, select each of the words PAGE and with it selected, hold down
the Ctrl key and press F9

You will then have

IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE }

Now select all of the above and with it all selected, hold down the Ctrl key
and press F9, you will then have

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

Hold down the Alt key and then press F9 to hide the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Glenda (The Good Confused Witch)" Glenda (The Good Confused
wrote in message
I have the same problem regarding the above. I have no idea what you mean
by
"field construction in the Header", and "field delimiters"??? But I know
how to toggle

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the following field construction in the Header

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters { } and Alt+F9 to
toggle
off their display.

If you wanted the number to start from 1 on the second page, use

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE } - 1 } }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"K McDonald" K wrote in message
I need to set up a document (no section breaks) with the header the same
on
every page and start numbering on the second page. When I uncheck
"number
first page" in the footer, it also deletes the header from the first
page.
I've tried inserting the footer/page number and then the header, but
nothing
works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Kathleen