Have you tried using "Keep lines together"?

"Stephen S" wrote in message
I tried that before my shift-enter solution. It still doesn't hold them
together. I was hoping for an old Wordperfect solution of keeping

paragraphs
together.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Yes, using Shift-enter will be the problem -- for merge purposes, Word

will
see the entire block as one line. To prevent the splitting, set 'keep

with
next' for all lines but the last of each block.

"Stephen S" wrote in message
I know and tried that but still no good.
I'll explain what I'm doing from the beginning. We are trying to

create a
School Directory with students names, their parents and contact

details.
Some
families don't want some specific details published ie cell number.

I'm
importing from an Excel database which is fine. I output to a new 3

column
document. Maybe the problem is that I have separated each line with
shift-enter. Originally I separated the lines with ENTER key but while

the
blank lines were omitted the Student details were not kept together as

group and sometime split/wrap over columns . With the shift-enter

format
they
are kept together as paragraph but the blank lines appear.

"Jezebel" wrote:

What are you trying to do? The merge function has a checkbox for

omitting
blank lines automatically.

"Stephen S" Stephen wrote in message
news From previous message posts I still don't understand the answers.

Is
it
syntax - I have Word 2003. Here is what I have.
P_Work is a work phone field
{IF {MERGEFIELD "P_WORK" }= " " {MERGEFIELD "P_WORK}"}
when I toggle field codes view all I see is MERGEFIELD