Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christine Christine is offline

Default Umlauting vowels

Thank you Suzanne - it works!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

My guess is that you are not releasing the shift key before typing the
letter. The shortcut is actually Ctrl+colon, letter. You have to press Shift
to get a colon instead of a semi-colon, but you then need to release the
shift key before typing a lowercase letter in order to get an umlauted
lowercase letter.

"Christine" wrote in message
I know this is an 'old' one and I have read the previous discussion

thread.

However, "CTRL,SHIFT : letter" only works on my laptop if I have the
capslock on. Then I obviously only get capitals with umlauts. If I don't

put
the capslock on then I get nothing at all.

On my old PC (not a laptop) I was always able to get the umlauts using ALT
132/ 148/129 using the righthand numbers keypad. On the laptop I only have
numbers across the top of the keypad and the ALT ++ does not work. I have
alos tried adding a 0 in front of the numbers. The numlock key is

definitely
not turned off.

I can use 'insert symbol' but this is very time consuming

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

EINZIG wrote:
In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful
things like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding
down the 'Alt' key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad
entering three digits. Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248;
pound sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in
there too. This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what
has occurred? I think this is pretty snazzy facility, but
probably there is somewhere an easier, better way to access these
useful symbols. HELP! [please] Errol Wobcke

Hi Errol,

There are two separate issues here. I don't know why the Alt+number pad
method wouldn't work in Word, unless perhaps you have the NumLock key

turned
off -- but then it wouldn't work in other programs, either.

In Word, but not in other programs, there is an easier way. Word has
shortcuts for many special characters. For example, to get any character
that can take an umlaut, type Ctrl+Shift+: and then type the character,

such
as o or O. (To remember this, think of the colon as a sideways umlaut.)

The
default shortcuts are shown at the bottom of the Insert Symbol dialog

when
you select the character. Also see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for a list.

--