Einzig

Thanx Joseph
Yes, I concur, Jay's is the best solution for my needs. It is only
occasionally that the umlaut is essential in German - mostly oe ue [und so
weiter] can be employed without sacrifice of accuracy. If indeed this works
only in Word, my 'old' way still works in OE, so I'm in good shape!
Thank you again
errol wobcke

"Joseph McGuire" wrote:

Einzig:

Jay is quite right. That is the easiest way to insert occasional foreign
characters in Word, such as the umlaut. Trying to remember Alt and numbers
seems a bit harder, but obviously it was OK for you. Unfortunately, my
experience is that the Ctrl+Shift stuff works only in Word.

If you are using a foreign language a lot, such as German, you can set up
your keyboard for that language in Word, and toggle back and forth between
that language and English, or any other language. The big problem is that
unless you have an actual keyboard for that language, you have to remember
what keys produce which characters. Drove me nuts.

"EINZIG" wrote in message
In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful things
like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding down the

'Alt'
key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad entering three digits.
Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248; pound
sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in there too.
This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what has occurred?

think this is pretty snazzy facility, but probably there is somewhere an
easier, better way to access these useful symbols. HELP! [please]
Errol Wobcke