willibus

Thank you for the information you posted. I won't actually know if it helps
until I pass it on. I did find out that I can renumber the stray footnote by
selecting the number in the body of the text and clicking on it. Then in the
error message click options and on the dialog box select Custom Mark and type
the number I want it to be. That doesn't answer why it happened, but it does
solve the problem for the one instance. If your information answers why he
had problems it will help him avoid it in the first place. He does use track
changes so that may be what is wrong. Thanks again.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

PS. Another poster just pointed out that using Edit | Go To found invisible
footnotes, which he eliminated by cutting the para and repasting it as
unformatted text.

On 1/6/05 12:43 PM, "Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

If your friend is using track changes, the numbers will not fix themselves
until all changes have been Accepted.

Was the doc originally created in Word?

Has he tried deleting the last footnote (by deleting the reference number in
the text, after copying the text to a different doc) and recreating it?

On 1/6/05 11:09 AM, "Willibus" wrote:

I have a friend who created a lengthy document with four footnotes. The
first three numbered correctly, but the last is numbered 10. There are no
other footnotes in the document. He is using Word 2003. I don't know if
there has been cutting and pasting from other resources. Could that be the
problem? He'd like to get the last footnote to number as 4.

There doesn't seem to be a way to manually number them and the section
break, page number doesn't seem to help control the number for the last
footnote. If we ask to start with a different number, it changes everything
and still leaves a gap.