Screen/Display size

Default Change language in WORD in Normal.dot template

For some reason my "Normal" template language is set to welsh !!!!
I have followed the advise from MS help ie File - Open Template, then
checked the auto update template styles, changed language to English (UK),
set this as default and saved. Next time a open a new doc none of the
settings have been saved
A number of problems have been observed.
1) Following the path to the templates file ie C:\Documents and
Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates, I can ynot see the
Application Data folder, so I have to find the template by other means. Also
this is invisible in Explore
2) Having checked the auto update template styles + ok'd. Going back into
this ection the check has been removed -- ie it does not appear to save it.
3) Haveing set the language, Welsh still appears in the status bar at the
foot of the doc.
What am I doing wrong

Thanks for any and all help you can give