Doug Robbins

Use an If...Then...Else field that returns the MI and the LastName if the MI
exists or just returns the LastName if it does not.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "MI" } "" { MERGEFIELD "MI"} { MERGEFIELD "LastName" }
{ MERGEFIELD "LastName" } }

Use a non-breaking space between { MERGEFIELD "MI"} and { MERGEFIELD
"LastName" } so that it gets treated as the result for the "true" condition.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gene" wrote in message
middle initial and last name when the person does not have a middle
initial.