Only the built-in headings will show up as "Headings." If they have numbers,
they'll show up as "Numbered items"; if you bookmark them, you can
cross-reference the bookmarks. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html for
other incentives to use the built-in styles.

"edwardP in big D" edwardP in big wrote in
message ...
i created some custom styles based on Heading1, Heading2, etc.

when i attempt to Insert Reference Cross-Reference to an instance of

one
of my custom defined styles, they dont show up in the "For which heading"
list, even though i have selected "Heading" in the "Reference type" list.

Does Word only show headings that are instances of the pre-defined

Heading1,
Heading2, etc. and never custom defined styles based on those headings??

How can i get Word to show headings that are instances of my custom

defined
styles?

thx,
edward
Word 2003 running on an XP SP2 system

ps. mazza asked a similar question back in may but never replied back to
steve.