Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default tab align with a colon?

Would you just try it, for heaven's sake? I can assure you that I have
numerous documents in which I have aligned times on the colon with a decimal
tab stop (in a table cell). Regardless of what Help tells you, the decimal
tab stop aligns on the first nonnumeric character other than the thousands
separator.

"punstress" wrote in message
The text had been centered. It was copied over from a web page.

I looked up in help and found this:

A Decimal Tab stop aligns numbers around a decimal point. Without regard

the number of digits, the decimal point remains in the same position.

(When
you use this type of tab stop, you must align the numbers around a decimal
character. You cannot use any other type of character €” such as a comma, a
hyphen, or an ampersand symbol.)

It doesn't seem I can use anything but a period.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

The decimal tab stop should work. In a text string, a decimal tab stop

will
align on the first character that is not numeric (in case a string

contains a
thousands separator, that separator will be skipped).

The problem could be that you have right aligned the text. If that is

the
case, try to change to left alignment.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"punstress" wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to line up a timetable. Naturally, instead of decimal

points,
I am using colons, such as 4:30, 12:30.

Using the decimal tab only makes it right-justify. How do I get it to

align
to the colon? Please don't tell me to use a point instead of a colon

because
we use AP style, which dictates a colon.