garfield-n-odie

If you temporarily move rhd.dot out of Word's startup folder, does Word
open and close faster? If you have version 1.0 of rhd.dot, you might
try the updated version 1.1 at
.. Hmmm... you have a customization added for exit, and exit is too
slow... do you think they could be related?

jackmgerm wrote:

I have the RHD.dot add-on installed. This is the remove hidden data item
provided by Microsoft. I also have customizations added for exit,
next/previous window, close, close all. Does this provide you with any clues?
Thanks for the help.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

You can try reinstalling, but it doesn't usually fix anything. What
add-ins do you have installed? See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm .

jackmgerm wrote:

OK, I found the normal.dot file and renamed it to .old. Word creadted a
smaller replacement file, but the delay in loading and exiting is still
there. If I uninstalled and then reinstalled, would that solve the problem?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

In Word, click on Tools | Options | File Locations, and note the folder
for User Templates. That is where the Normal.dot file will be located.
Normal.dot is a hidden file in Word 2002 and 2003.

jackmgerm wrote:

I checked out all of the solutions in the document you suggested. Nothing
solved the problem. I did discovery something weird, though. I searched the
hard drive several times. There is no normal.dot file to be found anywhere.

Any ideas?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm .

jackmgerm wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2002. It takes almost 45 seconds for the program to
load and almost half that time for the program to shutdown. This happens
whether Word is the only program runing or several programs are in
background. I have ample memory and other Microsoft programs work fine. I
have scanned my system for virus and spyware infections and have a clean
system. Word works fine once it is up and running. The lengthy startup and
shutdown however are a hassle. This problem doesn't exist quite as bad on my
laptop. I don't notice this proglem on the network computers in the office.
Word has been on this computer for about one year. The problem exists for
quite some time but not when first installed. Any ideas?