Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Why don't numbers print in a straight line?

In my experience, the figures in common fonts are fixed-width. This might
not be true of nonlining figures, but in fonts that have lining figures, I
have never found any that are not designed to be of equal width, precisely
for use in tables.

0123456789
1234567890
2345678901
3456789012
etc.

I think you will find these numbers line up in any font in which you care to

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi all

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If the numbers have the *same* number of digits after the decimal point,
either a right-aligned or a decimal tab stop will work; it's when the

number
is different that a decimal tab is required.

I almost have no hairs left to split, but a right-aligned tab will only
work if the used font is fixed-width or when its digits are fixed-width.

Professional typographers use different digits of the same fonts in
normal text and, say, in a table (exactly that the numbers allign
properly, i.e. 1111.4 will take the same amount of space as 6970.2).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS