Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Word 2007 Deleting across paragraphs does not delete paragraph

You are right. And there is more€¦

Further observations:
In a protected form, deletion via the Delete key (without the macro) works
as in 2003 as far as I can see. The paragraph mark is gone after pressing
Delete.

Before I posted my macro, I tested it with tables fully or partly selected
and both with and without having selected text before or after the table. The
macro seems to work as "normal" delete (i.e. 2003 delete). I have now found
out that your version fails if part of a table is selected in combination
with text before the table. And if only part of a table is selected (without
text before or after), the result is not correct - or maybe it is better so
say it this way: the result is not the same as if one used the Delete key in
2003 or in 2007.

Another problem: even if the macro(s) were changed to handle the above, the
user would have to press Undo at least twice to undo the deletion (unless
Undo handling is also built into the macro).

All in all, I think I would skip the idea of using a macro €“ and then I
would prefer pressing Delete twice to overcome the problem with the paragraph
mark g

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

There is a snag - it doesn't work in protected form fields without
additional programming.

Lene Fredborg wrote:
I found the answer via the Shortcut Key dialog box ;-)

I had been racking my brains to think what the delete key command
was - Renaming the macro works just fine

Sub EditClear()
If InStr(Selection.Text, Chr(13)) Then
Selection.Text = Replace(Selection.Text, Chr(13), " ")
End If
Selection.Delete
End Sub

Lene Fredborg wrote:
Possible solution:
The command executed when pressing the Delete key is EditClear. You
could rename the deletion macro to EditClear and it will run instead
of the built-in command.

Thanks all - I have already updated my macros to replace paragraphs
marks with spaces and that does work, of course. However, for my
users, they still have the pain of having to perform the selection
delete and then delete the inserted paragraph mark when they do
this manually.

Surely, Microsoft can't believe that "delete this bit" means "We'll
delete it but add something in because you will always need it and,
no, you can't switch this off"???

Andy

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Greg Maxey wrote:

How about:

Sub ScracthMacro()
If InStr(Selection.Text, Chr(13)) 1 Then
Selection.Text = Replace(Selection.Text, Chr(13), " ")
Selection.Delete
End If
End Sub

Sub ScratchMacro()
If InStr(Selection.Text, Chr(13)) Then
Selection.Text = Replace(Selection.Text, Chr(13), " ")
End If
Selection.Delete
End Sub

Would delete the selected text whether or not the selection
contained a paragraph break which is closer to the Word 2003
behaviour.