Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nadine Nadine is offline

Default Mail Merge Excel data source

We recently installed the Office 2007 compatibility package. Could this have
changed the settings so that now we have to make these changes to word,
properly open in the DDE format

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you save the mail merge main document with the data source attached, the
DDE connection will be maintained, otherwise, you must select it each time
you attach a data source to a mail merge main document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nadine" wrote in message
Word/Excel 2003

Is there a setting we can change to always use DDE method. Didn't have to
do this before.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What version of Word?

For versions before 2007, from the Tools menu in Word, select Options and
then go to the General tab and check the box against the "Confirm
conversions at open" item. Then when you attach the data source, select
the
DDE method of connection in the dialog box that will appear.

In Word 2007, that option can be accessed via the Office buttonWord
OptionsAdvanced and scroll down to the General section. The name is
slightly different - "Confirm file format conversion on open."

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nadine" wrote in message
Why does this not work anymore...

Excel data source - has column with dates and formatted as MMMM DD,
yyyy

Had no problem merging before, but now word changes the date to
dd/mm/yy

Only way around it is to edit the merge field code and add the date
switch
for the format.

Been using these excel documents and merge templates for very long time
and
had no problems with the date formats until now.

I changed regional settings, language, and date formats defaults,
still
won't work without the switch.

Has there been some kind of update that has now caused this. Why is
working
like this now.

Thanks