Chad Harris

Suzanne--I pressed OK and so that should be tantamount to same thing and it
gives a little line that is real hard to erase unless I should hit the
delete key on the keyboard to erase the line or just hit delete on the
keyboard as I was taught here to delete the whole footer and start over.
The 6 gives perspective. The default whatever it is is working well once I
cut and paste so it doesn't get in the way of my page number that I like to
put in the middle of a doc page.

So now I have 2 things to deal with. The challenge that you all say you can
go down towards 1 and 2 font size for fotter yet I can't get it done and
also I'd like to figure out what size my default font that works for the
footer without setting it to anything is. Again, the default size if you
hit font while the footer is up for whatever you need to put in it is
working but when you look at the font it shows whatever font is going on in
the *main document* at the time.

Also in your experience do people ever use larger than Times New Roman 12
(14 for example) in legal documents? 12 seems to small and 14 too large.

Tia,

Chad Harris

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you pressing Enter after typing in a size? I wouldn't suggest using a
font size as small as 1 or even 2; this is so "micro" that it will be
unreadable. About the smallest size that will be readable will be 6 pts
(maybe 4 if you have good eyes).

so
all may benefit.

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
Suzanne--

I got the footer done easily. Thanks for all the good information from

you
all but it defaulted to what was an acceptable size for me--slightly

bigger
than the ones I see--and I see no real way to guage what size it is

because
if you highlight the text the footer gives you and then go to FormatFont
you are going to see the text of the main doc reflected.

So I tried typing in the numbers "1" and then "1.5" and then "2.0" and
all
that emerged when I typed into the footer was a squirley behaving line

that
you can't highlight and cut and then I tried to figure out how to delete

the
footer.

What in the world is going on with that line--I wasn't able to select
smaller numbers than 8 the default listing--sure I could type them in but
all I then saw was a little funny line. Maybe someone can tell me what

I'm
doing wrong because I know it can be done when you say it can.

Thanks,

Chad Harris

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Thanks for the link; this is interesting stuff. Who knew that English

and
French inches were different? Not an issue any more, of course. But the
article says that "a point was defined as exactly 1/72 of an inch
(.013888"), so we get back to my original calculation: multiplying by
0.013888 gives 22.7485"; dividing by 72 gives 22.75".

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
The ¾" margin is for trimming the page to allow for full bleeds. (What
waffle will I think of next!)

In reality, in 1980, the point was redefined as 0.013888" (the

PostScript
Point). So 1638 x 0.013888 = 22.7485" (approx.). The whole mess of

Point
Sizes is explained in the link below. I can only say that after
reading
it,
it is hardly surprising that Word repaginates whenever the printer

driver
is
changed.

http://home.att.net/~tom.brodhead/points.htm

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Thanks for the correction, Terry. I used to always look that figure

up
in
: "Limits for Word," but now that Word's Help no longer has that

topic...
: sigh The curious thing is that either the Help topic or the KB or
both
: implied that the 1,638-point limit was determined by Word's 22" page
size
: limit. This was actually stated as 1,638 points = 22". Yet 1,638

points
÷
72
: points/inch = 22.75". I've never understood that.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Jim
:
: Not at All. Word will accept paper up to 22" x 22" on which a
character
: 1,638 points (which is what Suzanne meant to type) in most fonts

will
: comfortably fit on paper that size.
:
: Certainly a figure 8 in Arial, Bold 1,638points has room to spare!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
: : And the "tiny font" part comes from formatting the text at a

very
small
: font
: : size. Although the smallest size shown in the spin box for Font
Size
is
: 8
: : points, you can format text at any size from 1 point to 1,238
points,
: in
: : half-point increments. Just type the size you want into the box
and
: press
: : Enter.
: :
: : Just a rhetorical question, Suzanne: who would ever use a 1,238
point
: : letter? At something over 17 inches, wouldn't this be a poster
child
: : for the "jaggies?"
: :
: :