Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default track changes grayed out

Since you can see the document, I can assume that the document is protected
for forms, rather than protected for opening. The former is easy to unlock,
while the latter is nearly impossible.

See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm for the procedure to use.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

aviation editor wrote:
Thanks so much. That is exactly the problem.

Unfortunately, the original author is not longer available to speak
with.
Do you know if there's a way to work around the protection? Or to
disable it in some other way?

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

It sounds as though your tracked changes were turned on using
protection. From the Tools menu select Unprotect Document. If you
are prompted for a password, then you will need to get with the
originator of the document to have them supply it.

Good Luck.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and
questions to the group so that others can learn as well.
"aviation editor" wrote in
message ...
I am using Word 2003. I am working in a file that is not
originally mine. I
need to accept all changes made, but in the Reviewing tool bar,
accept change, reject change, and accept all changes is grayed out.
I also tried to
right click on each addition and deletion, and accept and reject
change is grayed out there too. I just want to accept all changes
made; I do not need
to review them. How can I do this?

Thanks!