Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default extra blank lines in html email

I don't think there are any simple facilities within Word that will help you
with this. If I were doing it, I'd probably just maintain two versions of
the mail merge main document, one for plain text, and one for HTML.

The only other approach I'd even consider is doing a version for HTML where
I used { IF } fields to include/exclude material that I wanted in HTML but
not the text version, using the value of a bookmark to decide what to
include/exclude. Just some untested thoughts:

e.g. you might have something like the following, where PM means
"paragraph mark"

{ SET htmlversion "Y" }

sample paragraph of text followed by a paragraph mark.PM
{ IF "{ REF htmlversion \*upper }" = "N" "PMPM" "" }

and so on...

When doing the HTML version, you use { SET htmlversion "Y" }
When doing the plaintext version, you use { SET htmlversion "N" }

Or you use an ASK field to do the same.

Peter Jamieson

"melisa" wrote in message
We need to be able to create html mail merges from Word to Outlook 2002 so
that recipients who read only plain text email do not visualize extra Hard
Returns (blank lines) not included in the html text.

For ex, currently what happens is: a single spaced paragraph followed by a
Hard Return and followed with an additional Hard Return (blank line
between
paragraphs) shows up on the receiving end with 3 blank lines between
paragraphs instead of 1.

Ideas on how we can resolve? Email must be "readable"/"attractive" for
both
html and plain text recipients. ...help... this "simple" problem is
killing
us.