Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Chapter and section numbering in Word 2007

The basics of outline numbering are detailed at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. The way the
principles are applied are a little different in Word 2007, but others here
who are using that version can tell you what you need to do differently; I
believe it has to do with using "Define new multi-level list."

"mfogar01" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to do what seems like a very basic thing in word 2007. I want to
have
styles called chapter, section1, section2, section3 where the numbers on
the
sections indicate levels.

Basically i want to have a document with the following type of structure

chapter 1
section 1
section 1.1
section 1.2
section 2
chapter 2
section 2

where the numbering is automatically taken care of.

This ought to be easy and is one of the most common things needed by
anyone
structuring an engineering document. I cannot find anything ready-made
built-in or a simple description of how to do it myself.