Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem reading docx files on Word 2003

DOCX is the Word 2007 document format.

If you have installed the compatibility pack correctly -
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx then you
should be able to open it directly with Word 2003. However, if the document
was created using a Word 2007 template, Word 2003 will not know what to do
with this, and will probably show a dialog box containing garbage. That
being the case see http://www.gmayor.com/Converter_Shows_Garbage.htm

zoeb wrote:
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a
docx file which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the
latest service packs installed (I checked using the update option)
and I have downloaded and installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if
you double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open
word 2003 and try the open file option it offers a file conversion
from windows default and appears as nonsense. If I select open files
of Word 2007 which is an option, the file I have been sent doesn't
show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.