Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Problem reading docx files on Word 2003

Someone else reported the same loop just the other day. Looks like MS
has created a problem, which means no one here can fix it!

On Aug 16, 12:36*pm, Tom B wrote:
I have MS Word 2002, SP3. *I downloaded the 27.5 MB file "Microsoft Office
Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" which
is the one I understand you mentioned. *Next it says the installation is
complete. * I then try to open a .docx file. *I get a window with an Error
Message that says "This is a pre-relase version of the Compatibility Pack and
can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. *Do you want to check for a
newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"

I've done that, too, but it just gets me back to this same Error Message
again. *And again.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
You cannot open a .docx file with OfficeXP (= 2002) or 2003, unless
you download the Compatibility Pack, as described elswhere in this
thread.

On Aug 10, 3:53 pm, Tom B wrote:
I have Word 2002. *Trying to open a .docx file (received as an Email
attachment) only results in a referral to an update for Word 2007. *It's the
wrong update, and nothing changes. *I wish the error message had been correct.

I also have MS Publisher 2003. *I tried using it to open the .docx file.. *
The result is an error message:

"There is not enough memory to convert the text formatting. Windows is low
on memory. *Save your work and close the other programs to free up memory,
and then try again"

The computer has plenty of memory, with very little activity open.

I then used Windows Explorer and found the .docx file. *I copied it to paste
to the clipboard (or text window) in Publisher 2003. *On attempting to copy
the file an error message:

"Clipboard. *Item not collected: *Format not supported by Office Clipboard"

The .docx file will not open at all for cutting or pasting into Publisher.. *
There is nothing in the Publisher help file about ".docx" * I understand this
Publisher 2003 is fully updated. *

The file that we received is a small .docx file with contents that may not
be important in the end. *But we have been receiving Microsoft error messages
that provide the wrong directions, and that have consumed a lot of time.

Is there something I'm missing? *

Others are reporting hours of difficulty with ".docx" *

"zoeb" wrote:
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003 and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.--