Graham Mayor

Whether or not your copy of Word is behaving normally I cannot tell. My own
takes several seconds to start, but there again it has a large normal.dot
and several add-ins to load so it isn't causing me any problems. Check the
difference in speed starting word normally against safe mode - see the link
posted earlier.

Virus checkers can slow things down by providing links into Word. I don't
know anything about McAfee.

Sure you should let Word access the internet - it will allow you to access
all kinds of reference material. It needn't go there if you don't want it
to. That's the beauty of broadband it makes the internet an extension of
your PC.

KM1 wrote:
Graham,

Thanks for the response. I have done what you suggested and the
first time opening word it hung between the Normal.dot and the
toolbars. Now it is only for a about 3 seconds or so then comes up
fully. Is this because I made a change to Word and it needed to
complete the change? Once restarted back to about 1 second between
Normal.dot and toolbars. What is strange is I can see my desktop
background where my toolbars are supposed to be for that second wait.

Also, Should I let word have access to the internet. What is this
for? I do notice that clipart is very very limited in the program
compared to previous versions of word.

Next, Is the behavior I described in my first note, 3-5 secnd hang,
due to the Microsoft Office 2003 smart tag update, defragment, and
wanting internet access all at the same time before opening Word
after High speed internet connection?

Lastly, Is it normal For Word 2003 to open in a double fashion like
this? First Normal.dot then toolbars? At work we are tied to a
server by computers much less capable to what I have at home, yet
with word 2000 it opens almost instantly as one Piece, especially
after opening it once, closing, ahd reopening again. Just seems more
efficient that Word 2003. Either that or something is wrong with my
version. Any more info would be helpful

Km1

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm however
your McAfee comment points to a possible clue. From the Help task
bar, uncheck the online content settings so that Word does not try
to access the internet. Unlike Word 2000, Word 2003 will make use of
online resources, which can be useful if you have a broadband
connection. Note that Word will always start faster second time if
you close then re-open. This is because of the way Windows handles
memory.

KM1 wrote:
Word has always had a double type opening characteristic. When you
open Word the normal.dot opens with the top part of the toolbars.
Between the two I can see my Desktop backgroud for a short period.
Then the toolbars open. This is only for about a second or two at
first open. If I close and then reopen it is faster but still
notice the double opening. Is this normal for Word 2003, do not
notice it
in word 2000?

Also, once I got highspeed internet connection, the first time I
opened Word it hung between the Normal.dot for a good 3 - 5 seconds,
then opened the toolbars. Closed and reopened, did it again, but
not quit as long. Restarted, tried again, back to 3 - 5 seconds. I
did
do a lot of Windows XP Critical Updates, Mcafee Updates,
Installation
of a new Mcafee pop-up/addblocker, and defragmentation after my new
internet connection along with some Office 2003 updates (one of them
a smart tag update) all before opening word. Never this long of a
pause between Normal.dot and toolbars. There was no program error or
program hang error reported, even in event monitor, during this
timeframe. However, did have Mcafee notify me that Word wanted to
access the internet, which I blocked access too, on the first
attempt
at opening Word. This behavior has been improving throughout the
day but really strange. Never noticed this with dial up
connection, whether connected or not. My question is what caused
this and is it indicative of Word being corrupted in some way? Any
info would be appreciated.