Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Word field stops working when launched from Access

If I knew of a simpler method that did what you wanted I would have
mentioned it. Perhaps someone else will come along with one. However, I
can't change what Word does with fields when it merges, and in fact Word
does not usually update fields immediately before it /saves/ - i.e. if
the user has to type a file name in the Save As dialog, the filename
field is unlikely to be updated until you actually re-open the document,
and even then it may or may not be automatic.

But if no-one else can think of one either then you're stuck with "the
simplest workable approach," and what is likely to be "simple" depends
on what your workflow looks like, whether or not you are already
automating using code, who's doing what, and typically, what the user
thinks is simple.

One of the "simple" things about using fields is that you don't have to
deploy a VBA-based solution, but if you are already using VBA or it
would be easy for you to do so, it is probably simpler to think in terms
of inserting the pathname programmatically rather than using a field. if
that's what you want to do, I can certainly make some suggestions.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Andrew @ ISL wrote:
Hi,

Really appreciate your input, but although I can see this might get round
the issue, it doesn't solve it. Each time we create a new file from Access,
it's creating a new Word document and automatically placing it in a different
folder on the computer - these aren't mail merges that we're doing for
marketing campaigns etc. but are daily quotes to different customers.

So basically, all I want to do is make the {FILENAME \* MERGEFORMAT} field
in the document template stay as a field which will automatically update when
the file is created/saved - at present, when the merged document is launched
it becomes text so therefore doesn't update.

I think with your method it would end up as quite a task.

Thanks again.