Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeffrey Frankel

Default Drop-Down Form Field and IF Field

Hello, all. I'm trying to build a template with an IF field in Word 2003
that will display text that is dependent upon the user's selection from a
Drop-Down Form Field. For example, if the user selects "plumbing board" from
the dropdown list, the IF field should read "plumber license." If the user
selects "electrical board" from the dropdown list, the IF field should read
"electrician license." The bookmark name for the form field is Dropdown1
(the default). The IF field reads:

{ IF Dropdown1 = "plumbing board" "plumber license" "electrician license" \*
MERGEFORMAT }

After I lock the document, make a selection from the 2-item dropdown list
and hit the tab key, the IF field displays "electrician license" regardless
of the selection made from the dropdown list. Selecting "plumbing board"
from the dropdown menu still results in "electrician license." Checking
Calculate on Exit in the Drop-Down Form Field Options dialog box doesn't
make any difference. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Jeff Frankel