Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 Outline-Numbered Heading Styles

FWIW, if you create a multilevel list (known as an outline-numbered list in
earlier versions) linked to heading styles, you will be able to view the
list members in Outline view in the same way as before (collapsing and
expanding branches as desired).

http://word.mvps.org

"Geodesic" wrote in message
"rgille" wrote:

Hello - I was expert at creating outline-numbered heading styles in Word
2003
and earlier. I still haven't figured out the best way to do this in Word
2007.

I've tried for several days and several times to post to be Microsoft
"community" portal to USENET (word general), but my posts always
disappear,
and I never can't see anything to get a response. Like the person above, I
was able to produce multilevel outlines in Word 2003, but have had
absolutely
no luck in Word 2007.

Like many of you, I am frustrated, disappointed, even angry at how
complicated and counterintuitive the use of outlines is in Word07. I am
not
looking to create a complicated environment in which different 'levels'
are
connected to very different formats. I simply want to create outlines in
which (1.) it is easy to move elements around (to promote or demote, to
move
up or down), (2.) in which elements can be expanded or collapsed, (3.) all
with a coherent numbering scheme. This is easy in OneNote07 where it is
the
default. I finally managed this in WordXP, but not without hard wiring my
'headings' so that only one system was acceptable. Still I did it, having
"program" WordXP to even get it to produce the most basic outlines. While
have had Word07 for over a year I still cannot get it to produce even the
most basic outline.

I should point out that if I use the "help" of Word 07, and ask 'how to
create an multilevel outline,' I am forwarded to how to create multilevel
numbered **lists**, lists which don't have the ability to expand and
collapse
lower levels. This seems a flaw. When I search around further, I am
forwarded to websites that explain outlines for earlier versions of Word
(where the link between levels was clearer).

So here's the problem more simply:
Suppose I want to create a simple 1/a/1/a/ outline. I go to the outline
tab
at the bottom of any page. I type something and assume that Word 07 will
believe I am at 'Level I.' It is unclear because of course I have to go
back
to the Home tab on the ribbon in order to see what style is being used,
such
as 'Heading 1'. I then go to the paragraph subset of the home tab and
choose
multilevel outline. I see the "define new multilevel list' option which
gives some indication of what level I'm at.'

I see 1.) appear at the beginning of the first line. I hit return, see the
second element with its 2.) appear. I now demote that elements using the
shortcut shft-alt-right arrow, expecting it to turn into 'a.)'. But while
the heading on the styles above shifts to 'Heading 2,' the number does not
change. So I end up with outlines that look proceed serially not like a
multilevel list
1.
2.
3.
4.

If the links between the levels and the headings are broken, why is it so
hard to find any information on the Microsoft websites to fix this? Again,
have followed other information that the Microsoft website has provided
since
I simply want to begin with the "format" of each level to be the same - I
don't want blue fonts, bold or italics, changes in the space between
paragraph elements, etc.

I simply want a simple outline, but with more functionality than a
numbered
list (eg. including ability to expand and collapse). In the future I might
decide at some level might be bold or not.

For the record, using 'modify style,' these are the styles of the
headings:

Heading 1 : Font: (Asian) +Headings Asian, (Default) Calibri, 12 pt,
Justified, Line spacing: Multiple 1.15 li, Widow/Orphan control, Keep
with
next, Keep lines together, Level 1, Style: Linked, Quick Style, Priority:
10,
Following style: Normal

Heading2: Level 2, Style: Linked, Hide until used, Quick Style, Priority:
10, Based on: Heading 1, Following style: Normal

Heading3: Level 3, Style: Linked, Hide until used, Quick Style, Priority:
10, Based on: Heading 2, Following style: Normal

Etc. (I don't know anything about this Asian heading). So is there any
hope
of creating even the most basic outline which will look something like:
1.
a.
b.
2.

My best, and hope this gets through (and FYI, I am using the Vista64 OS).
As a College Prof. who has also taught writing, I would love to have a
straightforward way to explain this to college level students. I have
told
them that outlines are very useful for writing documents, but I can not
longer produce them in Word 2007. G.