Kenneth

Default Weird Margin hassles with Word 2000...?

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:33:33 -0400, "Anne Troy"
wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:08:52 -0400, "Anne Troy"
wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message

Howdy,

I use Word 2000 to print labels to an OKI pin printer.

I am getting the error:

"The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area
of the page..."

I understand what that error means, but am baffled still:

I have the driver for the printer set so that there is NO
non-printable area. That is, it is set to allow every part
of the label to receive text.

Given that, where is Word getting the information about
non-printable area, and how can I tell it to use the proper
data so that the errors will be suppressed?

Very sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Ken: Word uses tables to set up labels (all that I've ever seen, at
least).
The tables borders are likely outside the printable area. Tables, by
default, have almost a tenth-inch top and left margin on the cells, so
while
the table cells might be outside that printable area, your data may not
be,
and probably isn't. Except for the annoyance of it, I would ignore it.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Hi Anne,

I appreciate your comments, but they do not apply to my
situation:

I do not use Word tables for my labels.

Instead, I have a Word Template that reflects the label size
that I need.

Occasionally, I open a DOC based on that template, manually
type in the necessary text, and print a single label.

More typically, I print labels from my database. I click on
an address for which I need a label, and it dumps the data
to a file, launches Word, does a merge, and prints the
label(s) I need.

This all worked like a charm until I had to revert to an
earlier Registry hive (don't ask...G) and now, for some
reason, I have the margin-printable area problem I
described.

Thanks again,
--
Kenneth

Ken: If you used a template that CAME with Word, then I assure you that the
odds are 99% that it was created using tables. Go to Table--Show gridlines.
Having the driver for the printer doesn't guarantee "non-printable areas".
Virtually all printers have non-printable areas. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/t...osoft_word.htm
Perhaps that will shed some light. I don't know.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Hi Anne,

I did not start with an existing Word Template.

I created the one I use, from scratch. There are no tables
involved in this issue. Really...g

I am confused by your comment that "Having the driver for
the printer doesn't guarantee "non-printable areas".
Virtually all printers have non-printable areas."

because I am not suggesting that there is no non-printable
area because I "have" the driver for the printer.

Of course I have the driver for the printer. Without that, I
could not use the printer.

The driver I have allows me to set the label to have no
non-printable area. It would not allow me to use that
setting were I attempting to apply it to letter size paper..

So, (and of course I may be wrong) I understand that (except
at the maximum size allowed by the printer) the issue of
non-printable area depends not on the characteristics of the
printer (hardware) but rather on the characteristics of the
driver (software.)

So, suppose for example, that we are talking about a printer
that can handle at maximum a standard letter size sheet. It
is most unlikely (as you have correctly described) that one
could print right up to the edges of the paper.

But, suppose using that printer's driver, we were to create
a new form that was just 4" by 4" centered on the letter
sized sheet.

We most certainly could set that form to zero non-printable
area because by doing so, we are not bumping up against the
inability of the printer to print to the edges of the larger
sheet we started with.

That is the situation I am in:

My printer can handle (at the maximum) sheets that are
letter size, but the labels I use with the printer are 4"
wide and 2" high.

I can definitely print to the edges of the labels (and far
beyond if I cared to.)

My problem is that I cannot get Word to believe that.

I do thank you for the link you provided, and will certainly
read it.

All the best,
--
Kenneth