Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] sweetguy1only@gmail.com is offline

Default MailMerge from Access to Word 2003

On May 10, 9:36 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking them to
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

Peter wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 10, 2:29 am, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
Maybe the "Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message is
getting in the way.

See:http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message

groups.com...

Hi all,

I am using VBA to create MS Access applications. When my clients get
the application, they are only getting the Access run-time; they
don't
need the full version of Access in order to run the application. The
problem that I am having with is, I am using VBA to do a mailmerge
from a recordset in Access to a new word document or existing word
document. This feature works on most of my cleints' machines.
However, for certain clients, when the word document comes up, the
Insert Merge Fields option in the Mail Merge Toolbar would be greyed
out. For these clients that are having problem, they are all using
Windows XP Professional with MS Word 2003. The weird thing is, I
have
Windows XP Professional with MS Word 2003 too but it works for me
every single time. My codes are as follows, can anyone give me some
pointers on how to correct the problem please?

Thanks in advance,
Monte

Set WordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")

If stMergeDoc = "" Then 'Create a new Word doc

Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Add

Else 'Open the word document selected by the user

Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(stMergeDoc)
'Set objWord = GetObject(stMergeDoc, "Word.Document")

End If

WordApp.Visible = True
'objWord.Application.Visible = True

WordDoc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:=CurrentDb.Name, _
LinkToSource:=True, _
Connection:="QUERY " & stMergeSrc, _
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
'SQLStatement:=strSQL

If Err.Number = 448 Then 'they have word 2000, so try again
without the subtype argument

WordDoc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:=CurrentDb.Name, _
LinkToSource:=True, _
Connection:="QUERY " & stMergeSrc
End If- Hide quoted text -

No, my clients don't get that message. However, they do get a message
saying Windows has problem starting Microsoft Word.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your response.

To answer your question, no, I don't ship any .doc with the software.
It is up to my clients to define their mail templates.

Most of my clients are not computer savvy at all. Lots of them don't
even know how to copy files from their own desktop to a CD or to a
flash drive. That's the difficult part. If they know something, I
can ask them to try certain thing for me. But since lots of them are
not computer savvy, it may do more harm than good if I were to tell
them to try things.