Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Unwanted text in TOC

One of the most misleading is this from Word 2003 help:

\o "Headings"
Builds a table of contents from paragraphs formatted with built-in
heading styles (heading style: Formatting applied to a heading. ... For
example, { TOC \o "1-3" } lists only headings formatted with the styles
Heading 1 through Heading 3. ...

I learned 6 or 7 years ago, I think in one of the other Word forums I attend
(Word-PC maybe), that styles with paragraph outline levels other than body
text could be picked up by the TOC. That, to me meant that \o probably
stands for paragraph outline level instead of heading level. But I have only
seen one or two people say that. And MS never corrected its help text for
W2003.

Pam

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
No, and even the TOC switches article tells little more than the Help file
because I was not really familiar with those switches when I wrote the
article. Since then I've done a lot more playing around with TOCs, but not
with the \o and \u switches.

Thanks for the reminder about the DM article; I'll read that before I
proceed.

Note that a (brief) description of the \u switch is included in the
article

[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]

Thanks.