Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Christopher@rath.ca is offline

Default Word 2013 - Welcome Back Pop-up?

On Saturday, 24 May 2014 05:56:31 UTC+8, wrote:
In Word 2013, when I reopen a document that I have been working on, I get this
pop-up window that says "welcome back, etc, etc". I don't really care for it
and am wondering if there is a way to shut the pop-up off?

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.

charliec

A programmatic way to dismiss the Welcome Back panel is to put this code in your Normal.dotm file:

Sub AutoOpen()
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory, Extend:=wdMove
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory, Extend:=wdMove
End Sub

This code moves the cursor to the bottom of the document and then back up to the top.

If youd rather not fiddle with VBA macros, then Ive also put this capability into an Add-In. You can configure the add-in to dismiss the Welcome Back panel, and also to force documents to open in Draft View mode (or any other view of your choice); which restores functionality that MS removed in Word 2013. The add-in can be downloaded from:
http://rath.ca/Misc/VBA/Word/ViewMgr_v2.1.zip