Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Section number is alway 0 in figure or table caption

Indeed, when a heading number included with a caption displays zero, the
cause is usually blank paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"That70sHeidi" wrote in message
I wanted to add my experience to this one.

I had the first two tables in a section (section used in the sense of 2.0
Heading Text, not as word uses 'section break') would be numbered fine,
Table
2-1 and Table 2-2, but after that it skipped back to Table 0-1 and Table
0-2.
The next section started OK as well with Table 3-1 but then went to Table
0-1
again.

My numbering was fine, the styles were defined properly. I even copied the
table titles and pasted without formatting to try and break whatever had
gone
wrong.

Unfortunately there were a few misplaced Style codes between the lines.
Using Show/Hide Paragraph Marks and slowly arrowing down through my
document,
I found an extraneous heading style on an empty paragraph line in Section
2.
In Section 3 I found the previous caption had a line beneath it with the
[unused to us] Caption3 style applied.

After a quick "Clear Formatting" applied to these lines, I updated my
table
caption codes and they fell right into place.

Hope this can help someone else!!