Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default Merge going to Outlook Express Outbox instead of MS Outlook 20

Hi Peter,

Yes thats correct.I do see the security prompts and the email merge works
fine if in the electronic mail options I select 'attactment' or 'plain text'
.. However it doesnt give me any prompts or doesnt send the email if I try and
select HTML option to send some HTML content.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hold on a minute - I'm now confused again. Are you saying that you have been
able to merge to e-mail via Word 2003 and Outlook 2003? But only non-HTML
mails?

Typically when you merge to Outlook 2003 you get a number of security
prompts (unless you're using HTML) - are you seeing those?

Peter Jamieson

"Sharon" wrote in message
news
Hey Peter,

My Outlook is setup to use Exchange Server. I have no idea why its not
sending as HTML. It goes fine as attachments and plain text. Its a
newsletter
so HAS to go as HTML. I tried doing it through Word 2003 and Outlook 2003
but
still same.

Sharon

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

OK,
a. it should have sent via Outlook 2003 before. I don't know why it
didn't.
b. the reason it probably won't work via Outlook Express at the moment
is
probably because you haven't set up an Outlook Express account (or at
least,
not the SMTP "send" part of it).
c. if you need to get your merge to email emails out then you may have
use Outlook Express for the moment, in which case you'll need to set up
an
e-mail account. I'm not going to try to lead you through that but let's
just
say that if your Outlook 2003 account is set up to receive via POP3 and
send
via SMTP then the Outlok Express settings should be the same or similar:
you
should be able to copy them by hand.

Is your Outlook 2003 e-mail set up to use POP3/SMTP, or do you normally
go
via an Exchange server or some other sort of server?

Peter Jamieson

"Sharon" wrote in message
news Hi Peter,

I havent done or changed any settings to try and send it via Outlook
Express. This is the first time I'm trying email merge. Never done it
before.
The email address are just normal like etc...just a list
of
all
the clients interested in a particular program and I am wanting to send
them
the email. I have checked in internet options and MS Outlook 2003 is my
default email client. This morning I changed it in MS Outlook 2003
under
tools--options--other and now it has even stopped going to my Express
outbox.
It just doesnt work...If I try to attempt send/receive now from MS
Outlook
2003 I am getting the following error:

"Task 'POP3 - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) : 'The server name
you
entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily).
Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

Please Help !!!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

What did you do to try to send via Outlook 2003 rather than Outlook
Express?

What do the e-mail addresses in the Excel column you specified in the
merge
look like? Do they look like normal e-mail addresses, e.g.

and so on? Can you give an example (anonymised if necessary)?

Peter Jamieson
"Sharon" wrote in message
I am trying a mail merge from MS Word 2003. I am importing a list of
addresses from an excel spreadsheet. However when I am trying to
send
the
message it tries to send via my Outlook Express(though my default
mail
client
is MS Outlook) and comes up with the following error :

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have
entered
the
server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol:
SMTP,
Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I then tried to mail merge through my MS Outlook 2003 and its doing
the
same
thing. All these messages are sitting in my Outlook Express outbox.