Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Print to text file?

You can certainly run a find operation to get rid of the excess spaces, but
it may still be easier to retype it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Eric" wrote in message
Suzanne - Thanks for the suggestion. It does create a text file, as I
wanted.

You're right that the formatting is strange. (I'm doing "Print What:
Styles".) It's got lots of extraneous blanks in it - for example,
paragraphs
of 200 characters, with runs of 20-40 consecutive blanks, but which are
not
word-wrapped. I can't figure out what's happening. I don't see anything
wrong
wih the paragraph formattaing. Even when I apply Normal style to the whole
document, many of the lines run off the right edge of the page. Strange.

It's interesting to try to figure it out, but I think I may have a case
where it's better just to retype the whole darn thing by hand ... unless
you
have a better suggestion. My goal is to take the contents of the Style and
Formatting pane, particularly the list of styles, and to get it into a
file,
as part of a style guide.

Thanks for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can set the printer to Generic/Text Only and then use "Print to
file."
My experience is that the result contains a lot of garbage, but you might
be
able to sift out the worthwhile content from it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Eric" wrote in message
Is there a way to print to a text file in Word 2003?

I want to print a list of styles (using the "Print What: Styles" choice
on
the Print screen), then bring it into Word and manipulate it.

Or is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

Thanks.