Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default auto numbering in a table

You can convert numbers to text. Select the relevant column and then do the
following:

Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate
the Immediate window. Type

Selection.Range.ListFormat.convertnumberstotext

and press Enter.

Numbering will be removed from the selected column. (Note that if numbering
was applied via a style, you should also clear the numbering from the style
definition.)

You can now sort the table without any renumbering taking place.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Seapeace" wrote in message
news
I have a table with a column using auto numbering for itentification
purposes. Now I want to sort it, having the numbers stay the same but I
want
to turn off the auto numbering. When I do the numbers go away. Anyway to
do
this?